I DO read even the odd parts of the Bible.
I’m currently squaring off with the Minor Prophets—you know, Hosea instructed by God to marry a whore, Jonah kicking and screaming all the way to Ninevah, Habakkuk complain, complain, complain… (But see his bottom line below.)
So many choice morsels, but fire and lightning bolts are hidden in their words.
- Amos 5:22-24 has God saying to me, “Even if you write big checks for church or charity, I won’t even look at them. Away with your hymns and praise songs, your guitars and drums. What I want are ACTS of Justice and Righteousness!
- Zephaniah 2:15 speaks to today’s turmoil with a message of impending judgment. “America has been the prototype of freedom and strength. ‘I am great!’ she says. ‘There’s none besides me.’ But what a ruin she’ll become, a roaming place for bison and wild mustangs!”
- Zephaniah 2:3: The United States could very well blow up [think EMP* for utter devastation], BUT “If you belong to that small group who knows and follows the Lord, put your face to the floor, and maybe…just maybe…you’ll be sheltered on the day of the Lord’s anger.”
- Micah 7:18 dittos that thought: “Who is a God like you, who pardons sin and forgives the transgression of the few left of your people? You don’t stay angry forever but delight in showing mercy. Please, Lord—have compassion on us. Stomp out our sins; hurl our iniquities into the depths of the sea.”
- Joel 2:12—Rip your hearts, not your designer clothes.
- Amos 4:12—Get ready to meet your God. Death can happen any day, any way.
BACK to Habakkuk 3:17, 18 with his take on national disaster or personal devastation:
I’ll wait patiently for things to come right in this broken and evil world, but EVEN IF
* Clothing gets pricy and store shelves bare,
* Meat is unaffordable and vegetables scarce,
* Gas prices go sky high, with electric cars way beyond my budget;
Still, I will REJOICE in the Lord, I will DELIGHT in God my Savior.
You with me on that?
Are you on speaking terms with the prophets—Minor or Major? Would love your comments, either below or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
*EMP–An Electroagnetic Pulse could destroy our entire electric infrastructure.